For the cupcakes:
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
½ cup light brown sugar packed
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 cup hot water
1 stick softened butter plus some for greasing
¾ cup sugar superfine or granulated
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 eggs at room temperature
for the frosting:
¾ cup butter softened
8 oz cream cheese softned
6 oz bitter-sweet chocolate chips 70% cocoa
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder sifted
3 cups powdered sugar sifted
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F/180 C.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the coco powder, instant coffee, brown sugar and hot water. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, beating well until pale and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add eggs, one at a time with a cup of the flour mixture in between eggs.
- Mix in the rest of the dried ingredients for the cake and fold in the cocoa mixture.
- Divide the batter evenly into 12 cupcakes and bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely before frosting
For the frosting
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a small pan on over a low heat stirring gently until melted. Once completely melted, remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the chocolate mixture with the softened cream cheese.
- Add the cocoa, vanilla extract and 1 cup of the powdered sugar adding another cup of the sugar until smooth and desired consistency.
- Pipe onto cooled cupcakes