5 cups chopped broccoli florets (about 16 ounces)
1 cup grated carrots (you can grate yourself or use bagged, pre-cut julienne carrots)
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 ounces reduced fat cream cheese (do not use fat free)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 (12-ounce) can 2% evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (8-ounce) block sharp cheddar cheese, grated*
- Place the broccoli, carrots, onion, and garlic in the bottom of 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Top with the cream cheese, oregano, nutmeg, and chicken broth. Stir to evenly distribute the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4-6 hours, until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove the lid and stir in the evaporated milk. With an immersion blender, puree about 3/4 of the soup, so that it is mostly smooth but still has a few chunks of broccoli remaining. Alternatively, you can puree the soup in 1 cup-sized batches in a food processor or blender. (Be careful—it’s hot and prone to splatter!)
- Recover the soup and let cook on low for 10 minutes until warmed through. Stir the salt, pepper, and grated cheese.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Recover and cook on high until the cheese is fully melted and the soup is hot, about 5 additional minutes.
- Serve warm.
The type of cheese you use is very important to this recipe. I highly advise grating your own from the block, as many brands of pre-grated, bagged cheese are coated with starch to prevent sticking. While convenient, this starch can prevent the cheese from melting smoothly. I also recommend using regular, not light cheese for this reason—reduced fat cheese sometimes does not melt as well.
Source : https://www.wellplated.com/slow-cooker-broccoli-and-cheese-soup/
All images and text ©Erin Clarke/Well Plated.
NUTRITION FACTS Serving Size: 1 of 6 (about 1 1/2 cups)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 59mg Sodium: 806mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 9g Protein: 18g