1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 egg white
1 teaspoon red food coloring
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon white vinegar
For the rest:
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
12 oz. almond bark (or white chocolate), for coating
- In a cupcake tin, place 4 cupcake liners on the outside edge.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder.
- In another bowl, beat together the canola oil, sugar, buttermilk, egg white, red dye, vinegar, and vanilla using an electric mixer.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing all the while. Divide the batter between the four cupcake liners and bake at 350° for 20-22 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- When cool, crumble the cupcakes into crumbs. In a bowl, mix the softened cream cheese and powdered sugar. Add the crumbs and stir very well. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the mixture into your hands and then roll into balls. Place the balls on a plate and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- To make the coating, chop the almond bark into 1″ chunks and place in a bowl. Heat on medium power in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until melted. Dip each ball into the coating quickly, using a fork to turn, then let them dry on a piece of wax paper. Can be made 3 days ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
*Recipe is easily doubled and baked in a 6″ round cake pan.
Source : https://www.dessertfortwo.com/red-velvet-truffles/