- 2 pounds stew meat (properly marbled red meat chunks)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10 cups water
- three mounded tablespoons excellent exceptional pork base*
- 3 stalks celery (about 2 cups), chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- five cloves garlic, minced
- 1 big potato, peeled and shredded, about 2 cups
- 3-four huge carrots, peeled and shredded, approximately 2 cups
- 1 cup pearl barley*** rinsed
- Generously salt and pepper the pork. In a large stockpot, warmth the oil over medium-excessive heat.
- When it’s miles very warm, upload about 1/3 of the beef. Brown for about 1-2 mins, then turn to brown the other aspect. Remove to a plate whilst it is browned on all facets.
- Repeat with final meat in 2 extra batches. (If you add it abruptly it will steam the meat as opposed to browning it–now not what you need.)
- When all the meat is browned, add all the beef returned to the pot with 10 cups of water. Add 3 healthy tablespoons pork stock pay attention.
- Add the chopped celery, onions, and garlic. Bring to a boil, then flip the warmth to medium-low. Simmer for about 2 hours with the lid on.
- When the meat is soft and you can spoil it apart easily with a timber spoon, upload the shredded potato and carrots. Bring to a boil, then continue to simmer on low for another 30-forty five mins, or until the carrots are smooth.
- Add 1 cup of barley. Bring to a boil, then lessen to low. Cook for some other 1/2 hour, or till barley is gentle and the soup tastes…Like home.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS:
- In a massive pan, brown the beef in line with the instructions. Remove the browned meat to a massive crockpot.
- Add 2 cups of the water to the pan and convey to a boil. Stir up all of the browned bits. Add this and the ultimate eight cups of water to the crock pot.
- Add the beef base, celery, onions, and garlic to the slow cooker and stir.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours. Add the potatoes and carrots and prepare dinner for another hour.
- Add the barley and simmer for any other hour or so, until it’s far smooth.
- *I recommend Better than Bouillon Beef Base.
- The simmer times in this soup are pretty rough. I let mine simmer all morning because I become feeling a lazy-soup-day. The pleasant sort of day for October.
- If your meat isn’t always marbled properly, you may want to feature a piece of worcestershire sauce towards the stop, to reinforce the taste.
- If your soup has boiled right down to grow to be greater stew-like, absolutely upload greater water and pork base.
- ** I’ve had some questions on the green garnish I used for these photographs. It’s basil, however it’s just what turned into developing in my garden once I made this. No garnish is essential, however I would advise parsley or chives if you need a clean kick.
- ***UPDATE December 2016: I simply made this over Christmas for my family in the crock pot the use of QUICK barley. I used the equal amount. I left it in for perhaps 15-half-hour, but check the package commands. You should do that on range pinnacle too!
- Source: This one is from Nana, Kris’ mother. https://thefoodcharlatan.com/beef-barley-soup-recipe/