- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pounds cipollini onions, peeled
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil, as needed for frying
- MAKE THE DIPPING SAUCE: In a medium bowl, whisk the sour cream with the mayonnaise, horseradish, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper to combine. Set aside.
- MAKE THE ONIONS: Slice an onion in half vertically, but don’t cut all the way through to the base. The idea is to keep the bottom intact. Turn the onion 45 degrees, slice vertically again and repeat until you end up with what looks like little rectangles of onion, still attached at the base. Repeat with the remaining onions.
- Loosen the onions a little by wiggling them around to separate the pieces slightly and create space between them. Place the buttermilk in a shallow dish and then add the onions to it. Toss well and massage the onions to get the buttermilk into the score marks.
- In a medium-size shallow dish, whisk the flour with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne and baking powder to combine.NEXT STEP